This is my take on pozole. I fell in love with traditional pozole a few years ago when a friend from New Mexico made the dish. Although I love the traditional dish, in general I’m not a huge fan of pork or hominy, thus the creation of this recipe.
- 2 ½ cups dried garbanzo beans
- 2 pounds elk roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- water as needed
- 2 ½ ounces New Mexico chile pods
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 head cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 Place garbanzo beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight.
- 2 Strain and wash beans and place in a slow cooker. Add elk roast, olive oil, and bay leaves. Fill with enough water to cover garbanzo beans.
- 3 Cook on High until elk meat falls off the bone when poked with a fork, about 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 135 degrees F (57 degrees C).
- 4 While roast is cooking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add chile pods and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chile pods with a slotted spoon, leaving most of the water in the pot, transfer to a blender, and process to a thin consistency.
- 5 Remove elk roast and shred meat. Add meat back to the slow cooker. Scoop blended chiles into a fine mesh strainer and press with a spoon to add sauce to the slow cooker; discard any solids in the strainer. Add 6 cups boiling water, salt, garlic, and smoked paprika, reduce heat to Low, and cook for 3 hours. Serve stew with cabbage, avocados, lime wedges, and crushed red pepper.
- Calories 516.7
- Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Fat 16.7 g
- Fiber 21.1 g
- Protein 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Sodium 1414.3 mg
- Sugar 12.1 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.