Here’s a wonderful, meaty lasagna with a true southwestern flavor. You won’t find this one in any Italian cookbook!
- 4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 pounds chorizo sausage
- 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package Mexican style shredded four cheese blend
- 1 (8 ounce) package no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 Place the tomatoes, green chiles, jalapenos, onion, garlic, cilantro, and cumin in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the onion is soft, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the chorizo. Cook and stir until the chorizo is crumbly, and evenly browned. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- 3 Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir together the ricotta cheese and eggs. Set aside.
- 4 To assemble, spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread the sausage over the tomato sauce. Pour 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the sausage and sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese over the top of the sauce. Arrange a layer of noodles lengthwise over the cheese. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles and place another layer of noodles over the ricotta. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and shredded cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- 5 Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is browned, about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Calories 718.1
- Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 185.5 mg
- Fat 49.7 g
- Fiber 3.1 g
- Protein 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22 g
- Sodium 1767.3 mg
- Sugar 2.5 g