Chicken and delicious fresh veggies lightly cooked and served over spaghetti squash. I came up with this trying to vary the usual weekday fare. It was a smashing success with the family. Can be topped with red pepper flakes or Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- ½ medium onion, chopped, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Place spaghetti squash, cut-sides up, in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and use a basting brush to coat. Sprinkle with dried parsley and oregano.
- 3 Bake in the preheated oven until tender and the flesh easily separates from the skin, 60 to 75 minutes.
- 4 When the squash has 15 minutes remaining, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to the hot skillet and cook until juices run clear, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, basil, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cover and cook until veggies are softened to desired consistency, 3 to 8 minutes.
- 5 Remove squash from the oven and use a fork to pull flesh into a bowl. Top with chicken and vegetable mixture and serve.
- Calories 404
- Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Cholesterol 70.1 mg
- Fat 17.9 g
- Fiber 3.5 g
- Protein 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Sodium 186.9 mg
- Sugar 3.1 g