- Published Aug 12th
- Ready In1h 10m
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Spanikopita for 15 servings:
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package whole wheat phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Spanikopita Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 10m
To cook Spanikopita, you need about 40 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Spanikopita is about 20 minutes , and you can serve your Spanikopita within 1 hour 10 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Spanikopita easily:
- 1 Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet. Mix the spinach, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and salt in a bowl.
- 2 Arrange one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface and brush with melted butter. Cover the remaining phyllo dough with a damp towel. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter, then place a third sheet on top. Cut the buttered phyllo lengthwise into four strips.
- 3 Place about 1 tablespoon of the spinach mixture on the bottom of each strip. Take the bottom right corner and fold the dough over the filling to make a triangle. Fold the bottom left corner up to make another triangle. Continue folding until all the dough is folded. Arrange the stuffed triangles, seam-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the triangle with butter. Repeat with the remaining phyllo dough and spinach filling.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- Cook's Notes
- You can bake half of the Spanakopita and freeze the other half. To do this, after step 3, freeze the triangles on the baking sheet for one hour until solid, then place triangles in a resealable plastic bag. When you're ready to cook them, continue with step 4. No need to defrost before baking.
- If you have extra phyllo dough, you can make a few with brown sugar and cinnamon inside for yummy sweet treat.
Per Serving: 183 calories; 9.4 grams of fat; 19.9 grams of carbohydrates; 6.5 grams of protein; 25 milligrams of cholesterol; 388 milligrams of sodium.