This is a simple side dish that’s quick, easy, and healthy. It’s pleasantly garlicky and a little bit spicy. The spiciness may be adapted to your taste with red pepper flakes. For variation, feel fee to add other ingredients such as sun-dried tomatoes, shallots, pine nuts, mushrooms, etc.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 6 medium Kalamata olives, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and blanch until the asparagus turns a vibrant green, about 1 minute. Transfer asparagus to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Remove asparagus from the ice bath, drain, and set aside.
- 2 Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, just until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season with pepper flakes, add asparagus, and quickly toss in the seasoned oil. Heat until asparagus is just crisp-tender, not overly soft, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3 Stir in olives and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Calories 149.5
- Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Fat 12.3 g
- Fiber 3.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Sodium 540.8 mg
- Sugar 2.1 g