This tofu scramble recipe is a great way to mix up breakfast and get some veggies in your first meal of the day. Serve with portobello mushroom steak; leave out the potatoes and serve crispy hash browns instead! This can be served with toast if you leave out the potatoes. Don’t forget the fruit for an unforgettable breakfast or brunch.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped jalapeno pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 5 small golden potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch onion powder, or to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil, onion, curry leaves, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add jalapeno and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Add potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large glass casserole dish.
- 3 Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine tofu, turmeric, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in the same nonstick pan over medium heat. Break tofu into scrambled egg consistency and cook for 5 minutes. Add nutritional yeast and cook over low heat for about 1 minute more. Remove from heat and add cilantro.
- 5 Remove casserole dish from the oven and add tofu mixture; stir to combine and return to the hot oven.
- 6 Continue baking for 10 minutes more. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories 250.1
- Carbohydrate 29 g
- Fat 11.3 g
- Fiber 4.6 g
- Protein 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Sodium 162 mg
- Sugar 3.6 g