A spicy Kheema Pulao-like dish with North African-style goat meat. This dish has an exotic, heavily ethnic flavor. Serve with plain yogurt.
- 3 pounds black goat meat, cubed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- water to cover
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage leaves
- 4 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground rosemary
- ¼ cup sliced hot chile peppers
- ½ teaspoon rosemary leaves
- ⅓ teaspoon minced lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- ⅓ teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 Combine goat meat, red wine vinegar, and salt in a large pot. Pour in enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; cook until goat is tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving stock. Rub sage leaves over goat.
- 2 Place basmati rice in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water. Let soak, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- 3 Heat sesame oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger; cook and stir until onion is browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in garam masala, basil, coriander, and ground rosemary; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4 Stir goat and chile peppers into the pot; cook and stir flavors combine, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle rosemary leaves and lemongrass over goat. Continue cooking until browned, about 10 minutes.
- 5 Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add curry powder and fenugreek; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add drained basmati rice; stir until evenly coated with ghee, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6 Pour rice mixture over goat in the pot; do not stir. Pour in 6 cups reserved stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is fluffy and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes before uncovering.
- Calories 565.8
- Carbohydrate 78 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Fat 11 g
- Fiber 4.5 g
- Protein 37 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Sodium 767.7 mg
- Sugar 3.4 g