A spicy pan-seared shrimp dish flavored with sambal oelek.
- 1 pound large frozen shrimp, tails removed
- ½ cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons butter
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup sambal oelek (Indonesian red chile paste)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sushi rice
- ½ bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 Place shrimp in a large bowl of cold water until thawed, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2 Melt 1/2 cup butter in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in the microwave in 15-second intervals, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Mix in garlic and half the lemon juice.
- 3 Melt 1 1/2 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp, garlic butter mixture, and sambal oelek. Cook and stir until garlic is cooked and shrimp are heated through, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 4 Bring water and sushi rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, until liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- 5 Serve shrimp over rice, topped with remaining lemon juice and green onions.
- Calories 623.9
- Carbohydrate 94.2 g
- Cholesterol 158.4 mg
- Fat 20.2 g
- Fiber 3.7 g
- Protein 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12 g
- Sodium 430.3 mg
- Sugar 5.8 g