- Published Aug 17th
- Ready In2h
Squash Stew Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Squash Stew for 4 servings:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium acorn squash, peeled and diced
- 1 cup pinto beans, cooked or canned
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Squash Stew Cooking Instructions
- Cook1h 30m
- Ready In2h
To cook Squash Stew, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Squash Stew is about 1 hour 30 minutes , and you can serve your Squash Stew within 2 hours . The following are the steps to cook Squash Stew easily:
- 1 In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil and saute the onion for a few minutes. Add the cinnamon and chili powder and continue to saute for another 2 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cumin seeds, saute for 2 minutes more before adding lemon juice and the tomatoes. Mix thoroughly so the stew doesn't get too chunky.
- 2 Stir the squash, pinto beans and water into the stew. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the stew simmer for 1 hour, or until squash is tender. Stirring occasionally throughout the cooking hour, and add more water if necessary. The finished stew should have a nice, thick stewy texture.
- 3 Heat a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Place one piece of pita bread at a time into the skillet. When one side of the pita bread gets hot, flip the bread over and heat the other side; approximately 1 minute of cooking per side. Serve the stew with the heated pita bread.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 257 calories; 12 grams of fat; 35.3 grams of carbohydrates; 7.1 grams of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 501 milligrams of sodium.