Fresh or frozen strawberries and sweetened whipped cream take your box cake mix to another level. Once chilled, cut into servings and top each piece with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with strawberry slices, if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- 1 (15.25 ounce) package white cake mix (such as Pillsbury®)
- 3 ounces white cake mix extender
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) jar strawberry preserves
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh strawberries, pureed
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 2 Blend cake mix plus extender, water, egg whites, and oil together in a bowl using an electric mixer until just moistened. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- 3 Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 32 to 26 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine strawberry preserves and pureed strawberries in a medium bowl. Stir in confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 5 Transfer cake to a cooling rack and let cool to room temperature, at least 25 minutes.
- 6 Poke holes into the cake about 1 inch apart using the handle of a wooden spoon. Slowly spread the strawberry sauce over the cake, letting it fill the holes. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Calories 310.7
- Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Fat 10.8 g
- Fiber 0.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Sodium 305.5 mg
- Sugar 39.4 g