My mom made this for me growing up. It got its name when she couldn’t find her recipe card, got frustrated and asked where the recipe for the ‘the stupid hot dog thing’ was. The rest is history. We always have used Classico® for the tomato sauce.
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot dogs, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package process cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cut into small cubes
- 1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil; cook the macaroni in the boiling water until cooked through yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- 2 Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat; cook the hot dog slices in the butter until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, milk, and cheese food to the pot; cook and stir until the cheese food is melted completely, 10 to 12 minutes. Fold the macaroni into the cheese mixture; continue cooking until thoroughly hot, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Calories 542.5
- Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.4 mg
- Fat 30 g
- Fiber 2.5 g
- Protein 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Sodium 1625.5 mg
- Sugar 8.5 g