This is a delicious summer salad. Great as a dinner salad with some grilled chicken or fish, or as a side. This is my first experience with kale, and I’m hooked! Add nuts (walnuts, cashews, slivered almonds), sunflower seeds, or dried fruit (cranberries or cherries) for some added texture and deliciousness! I also like to add thinly sliced red bell peppers or Shepherd peppers; it is a salad, anything goes! The citrus vinaigrette is light and refreshing. Sometimes I want a sweeter vinaigrette, hence the addition of marmalade. Apricot would work well, too. A great summertime salad.
- 6 cups shredded kale
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and cubed
- ½ mango - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- ⅓ cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ⅓ cucumber, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed kernels, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon orange marmalade, or to taste
- 1 Place kale in a large bowl and gently massage it with your hands until slightly tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Let kale rest to tenderize further, about 10 minutes.
- 2 Stir avocado, mango, chickpeas, and cucumber into kale.
- 3 Combine olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, sunflower seed kernels, mustard, poppy seeds, and marmalade in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; put on the lid and shake until dressing is well combined. Pour dressing over kale mixture and toss to coat.
- Calories 372.9
- Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Fat 30 g
- Fiber 7 g
- Protein 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Sodium 139.8 mg
- Sugar 5.4 g