- Published Jul 22nd
- Ready In7d 12h 35m
One of the things that I love about our trips to Italy is sampling the various items that my husband’s relatives have conserved from their gardens. Finocchi (fennel) in agrodolce (sour-sweet) is one of them! It can be served either as a side dish (contorno) or as a accompaniment to an aperitif. Jars can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Any jars that didn’t seal should be placed in the refrigerator and consumed within 2 weeks.
Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel for 8 servings:
- 1 pound fennel bulbs, cored and sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup turbinado cane sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel Cooking Instructions
- Ready In7d 12h 35m
To cook Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel, you need about 5 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel is about 30 minutes , and you can serve your Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel within 7 days 12 hours 35 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Sweet and Sour Pickled Fennel easily:
- 1 Inspect 2 jars for cracks and rings for rust, discarding any defective ones. Immerse in simmering water until fennel is ready. Wash new, unused lids and rings in warm, soapy water.
- 2 Place sliced fennel in a colander and rinse well.
- 3 Combine water, vinegar, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the fennel, sugar, olive oil, and chives; stir to combine. Bring back to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- 4 Remove fennel from the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and pack into sterilized jars. Fill the jars with the hot cooking liquid, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe the tops of the jars with a clean cloth. Place lids on the jars and tighten.
- 5 Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars 2 inches apart into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water to cover jars by at least 1 inch. Bring to a rolling boil, cover, and process for 15 minutes.
- 6 Remove the jars from the stockpot with a jar lifter and let rest on a kitchen towel, several inches apart, for 12 to 24 hours. Press the center of each lid with a finger to ensure the lid does not move up or down. Remove the rings for storage and store in a cool, dark area for 1 week before consuming.
Per Serving: 119 calories; 9.5 grams of fat; 8.4 grams of carbohydrates; 0.8 gram of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 759 milligrams of sodium.