- Published Nov 9th
- Ready In2h 50m
Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie for 6 servings:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk, or more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie Cooking Instructions
- Ready In2h 50m
To cook Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie, you need about 45 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie is about 2 hours , and you can serve your Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie within 2 hours 50 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Sweet Potato and Venison Shepherd’s Pie easily:
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Pierce the sweet potato several times with a fork and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- 3 Roast in the preheated oven until sweet potato is fork-tender, 70 to 90 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool enough to handle, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4 Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and place on a rimmed baking sheet to prevent bubbling over.
- 5 Peel skin off the sweet potato and place flesh into a large bowl. Add butter, milk, salt, pepper, sage, and nutmeg. Beat using an electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Mix in Cheddar cheese gently. Set aside.
- 6 Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until vegetables have softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add venison, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sage. Stir to combine, breaking up any large pieces of venison. Cook until venison is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7 Stir flour into the pot and cook for 1 minute. Pour in white wine and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine has reduced slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in broth. Allow mixture to come to a simmer; continue to cook until filling has thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in peas. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as necessary. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 8 Pour filling into the prepared pie plate. Top with sweet potato mixture and spread gently across the top, covering most of the filling.
- 9 Bake in the preheated oven until top is set and filling is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- To save time, you can boil the sweet potato instead of roasting.
- Use any kind of cheese you like for the topping.
- For a crispier topping, make sure to use a broiler-safe pan and place the pie under the broiler for a few minutes after baking.
Per Serving: 358 calories; 14.2 grams of fat; 29.5 grams of carbohydrates; 23.1 grams of protein; 76 milligrams of cholesterol; 445 milligrams of sodium.