- Published Oct 9th
- Ready In40m
Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) for 4 servings:
- 12 ounces sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 (5 ounce) balls prepared pizza dough
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup fromage blanc (French-style fresh cheese)
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) Cooking Instructions
- Ready In40m
To cook Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart), you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) is about 25 minutes , and you can serve your Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) within 40 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart) easily:
- 1 Place bacon in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until cooked but not crisp and fat has rendered out, about 8 minutes. Drain in a strainer; reserve the fat.
- 2 Place skillet back over medium heat. Add sliced onions. Cook briefly just until they lose their raw edge and soften up slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon or 2 of bacon fat if pan seems too dry. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 3 Mix fromage blanc, creme fraiche, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- 4 Place 1 ball of pizza dough on a well-floured surface. Flatten and roll out to a 10- or 12-inch thin circle. Transfer to a cold cast iron pan. Heat over medium-high heat to pre-cook the bottom of the crust. As dough heats and bubbles appear, deflate them with the tines of a fork so crust ends up thin and crisp (not chewy). When bottom is nicely browned and just about to start getting charred, 5 to 7 minutes, remove from heat. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5 Spread a generous amount of cheese mixture over the crust. Top evenly with some onions and then the bacon. Broil 5 or 6 minutes until edges are browned and starting to lift. Repeat for remaining tartes.
- Chef's Note:
- Once your crust is pre-browned and topped you can finish it under the broiler as I did. Or the other method would be to pop it in a 500 degree F oven, for until it's cooked to your preferred doneness, 7 to 10 minutes. Or, you can actually do both: start it in a hot oven, and then give it a minute under the broiler to seal the deal.
Per Serving: 657 calories; 26.9 grams of fat; 71.7 grams of carbohydrates; 27.7 grams of protein; 68 milligrams of cholesterol; 1637 milligrams of sodium.