The Marsala sauce, when made with DRY Marsala wine, is not too sweet. This recipe can be used with veal, pork or chicken. I prepare this dish on a regular basis as it is quick, simple and delicious. This recipe can be made ahead of time. Simply reduce the amount of time to 5 minutes that the meat is simmered in step 4 to 5 minutes. Place meat in a covered casserole dish, finish off sauce according to directions above, pour sauce over meat and refrigerate. Reheat the dish in either an oven preheated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes OR simmer in a pan on top of the stove just until hot.
- 1 ½ pounds veal scallops, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 Season veal with salt and pepper to taste; dredge in flour to coat. Shake off excess flour. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When foam subsides, add veal 3 to 4 pieces at a time and saute for 2 to 3 minutes each side, until browned. Transfer meat to a plate.
- 2 Pour most of the fat off from the skillet; add wine and 1/4 cup of the stock and bring to a boil over high heat for 1 or 2 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- 3 Return meat to skillet; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, basting meat with pan juices occasionally. Transfer meat to a platter.
- 4 Add remaining 1/4 cup stock to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping bottom and sides of skillet. When sauce has reduces to a thick, syrupy consistency, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 2 tablespoons softened butter and pour sauce over meat.
- Calories 494.7
- Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 144.5 mg
- Fat 29.5 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Sodium 243.9 mg
- Sugar 2.5 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.