Pasta salad is almost always the most disappointing side dish at the picnic or cookout, but this recipe shows you how to transform what is normally an “afterthought” to a dish that’s good enough to enjoy on its own, or as the perfect complement to grilled meat. Top this with extra fresh chopped herbs if you like.
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound rotini (corkscrew) pasta
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup shelled English peas
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup diced bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 Whisk Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, rice vinegar, salt, sugar, and cayenne together in a large bowl for about 30 seconds. Whisk in olive oil in 1-teaspoon increments until emulsified. Whisk in tarragon, dill, parsley, chives, and thyme. Remove and reserve 1/2 of the dressing in a separate small bowl.
- 2 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; cook rotini at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Add snow peas, carrots, peas, and broccoli about 2 minutes before the pasta is done. Drain pasta and veggies well, but do not rinse.
- 3 Transfer hot pasta mixture to the vinaigrette in the large mixing bowl and toss well to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes and toss again. Toss occasionally until the mixture is almost room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4 Add bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, green onions, salt, and the reserved dressing and toss well.
- 5 Wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours before serving. Toss and adjust seasoning before serving.
- Calories 491.9
- Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Fat 28.1 g
- Fiber 3.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Sodium 641.6 mg
- Sugar 5.3 g