This is a holiday drink that my family enjoys in the winter. The batter makes an excellent topping for both alcoholic beverages as well as hot cocoa, eggnog, or warm milk for the kids.
- 12 eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound butter, room temperature
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 Beat egg whites and salt until foamy in a large glass or metal mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
- 2 Beat the egg yolks to soft peaks in a separate bowl. Beat the butter and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla to the butter mixture; mix. Stir in the nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and the egg whites; beat until well blended. Batter can be frozen or kept in refrigerator for several weeks.
- 3 To make a Tom and Jerry, fill a cup of hot water with spiced rum or brandy, warm milk, hot cocoa, or eggnog and stir in 1 heaping tablespoon of batter.
- Calories 119.1
- Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 13.6 mg
- Fat 5.1 g
- Protein 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Sodium 50.1 mg
- Sugar 18.5 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.