- Published Mar 17th
- Ready In1h
I LOVE soup! This is one of my favorites. It has lots of vegetables and is full of flavor. I usually throw in some chopped cabbage. To make this a vegetarian recipe, use vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Tomato Barley Soup Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Tomato Barley Soup for 6 servings:
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Tomato Barley Soup Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h
To cook Tomato Barley Soup, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Tomato Barley Soup is about 40 minutes , and you can serve your Tomato Barley Soup within 1 hour . The following are the steps to cook Tomato Barley Soup easily:
- 1 In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and oil and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.
- 2 Then add the water, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, barley and ground black pepper.
- 3 Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.
Per Serving: 129 calories; 5.5 grams of fat; 15.3 grams of carbohydrates; 4.6 grams of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 455 milligrams of sodium.