Soothing Mexica-themed soup which can be enjoyed as a light meal or with garnishes that can make it more sinful. Freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ bunch chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green chile pepper, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water, or more as needed
- ¼ cup lime juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and stir in the ground turkey. Cook and stir until the turkey is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Transfer turkey to a bowl; set aside.
- 2 In the same skillet, stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion is nearly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery. Continue to cook and stir until tender, about 8 more minutes.
- 3 Stir in the corn, garlic, taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, and about 1/4 cup cilantro along with the cooked turkey. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 4 Mix in the tomatoes, kidney beans, green chile pepper, olives, chicken broth, water, and lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove chile halves, and garnish with the remaining cilantro before serving.
- Calories 272.9
- Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Fat 10.6 g
- Fiber 6.3 g
- Protein 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Sodium 1074 mg
- Sugar 6.3 g