One of my favorite fried-catfish recipes when having a fish fry. This is not too spicy and is usually a crowd favorite. Adapted from one of one of my old working buddies in the late 70s. Serve with french fries or onion rings.
- 3 pounds catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (such as Tex Joy® All Purpose), or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ (16 ounce) package saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1 (2.45 ounce) package sliced almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic
- 1 quart peanut oil, for frying
- 1 Season catfish with Cajun seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Refrigerate fillets 1 to 3 hours.
- 2 Mix saltine crackers and almonds in a large, wide bowl. Stir milk, beaten eggs, and garlic together in a separate bowl.
- 3 Soak the catfish fillets in the milk mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4 Heat peanut oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 5 Gently press the catfish fillets into the cracker mixture to coat completely; shake to remove any loose breading.
- 6 Fry fillets in hot peanut oil until cooked through and floats atop the oil, about 5 minutes.
- Calories 1500.1
- Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Cholesterol 159 mg
- Fat 137.8 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Sodium 1070.4 mg
- Sugar 3.5 g