Earthy poblano peppers, fruity tomatillos, and Tuscan kale provide lots of color and taste in this vegan chili verde recipe, which is sure to be a standout on your table. Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, or hot sauce, if desired.
- 4 fresh tomatillos, husks removed and halved
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 poblano peppers, tops, seeds, and membranes removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups chopped Tuscan kale
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- ¾ cup bulgur wheat
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Set an oven rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- 2 Place tomatillos, garlic cloves, and poblano peppers on a baking sheet.
- 3 Broil in the preheated oven until the peppers start to blacken and blister, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove garlic and transfer to a plate. Turn tomatillos and peppers over and broil until peppers are blackened and tomatillos are soft, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- 4 Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano, cumin, and chili powder; cook for 1 minute. Add 3 cups vegetable broth, great Northern beans, pinto beans, kale, corn, bulgur wheat, and salt. Return to a simmer.
- 5 Transfer roasted garlic, peppers, and tomatillos to a blender. Add remaining 1 cup vegetable broth. Cover and blend until just smooth. Pour into the simmering pot.
- 6 Simmer chili gently until bulgur is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Calories 315.1
- Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Fat 8.9 g
- Fiber 12.4 g
- Protein 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Sodium 716.4 mg
- Sugar 4.4 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.