- Published Apr 19th
- Ready In1h 30m
Vegan French Onion Soup Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Vegan French Onion Soup for 6 servings:
- 2 tablespoons buttery spread (such as Smart Balance®)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 6 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 2/3 cup shredded vegan cheese
Vegan French Onion Soup Cooking Instructions
- Cook1h 15m
- Ready In1h 30m
To cook Vegan French Onion Soup, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Vegan French Onion Soup is about 1 hour 15 minutes , and you can serve your Vegan French Onion Soup within 1 hour 30 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Vegan French Onion Soup easily:
- 1 Heat buttery spread and oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender and brown, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 2 Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes. Blend in broth, sherry, and Dijon mustard. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in sherry vinegar.
- 3 Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Ladle soup into 6 oven-proof bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toast and some vegan cheese. Broil until cheesy is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Per Serving: 300 calories; 9.3 grams of fat; 46.1 grams of carbohydrates; 7.1 grams of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 888 milligrams of sodium.