These are Boston-style baked beans.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- water as needed
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Place navy beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight.
- 2 Drain navy beans and put into a pot with 5 cups water.
- 3 Bring water to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- 4 Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- 5 Combine beans, onion, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, mustard, garlic, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a 2-quart casserole dish with a lid; season with pepper. Place lid on dish.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven, 5 to 7 hours, stirring halfway through and adding water if mixture is too dry. Remove lid and bake until mixture has reduced to desired thickness, about 1 hour more.
- Calories 213.5
- Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Fat 1 g
- Fiber 11.6 g
- Protein 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Sodium 12.6 mg
- Sugar 13 g