- Published Jan 28th
- Ready In1h
Vegetarian Borscht Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Vegetarian Borscht for 6 servings:
- 2 small beets, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrot, coarsely grated
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup dry yellow lentils
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Vegetarian Borscht Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h
To cook Vegetarian Borscht, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Vegetarian Borscht is about 45 minutes , and you can serve your Vegetarian Borscht within 1 hour . The following are the steps to cook Vegetarian Borscht easily:
- 1 Combine beets and vinegar in a small frying pan over low heat. Cook, while stirring, until soft, about 15 minutes.
- 2 Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat while beets are cooking. Add onion and stir for 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 3 In the meantime, bring water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add cabbage and lentils. Cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in cooked beets and onion-carrot mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve with sour cream and dill.
Per Serving: 264 calories; 6.1 grams of fat; 43.8 grams of carbohydrates; 10.3 grams of protein; 2 milligrams of cholesterol; 135 milligrams of sodium.