Bar cookie consisting of three layers separated by jam filling and coated with chocolate.
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1 ½ cups apricot jam
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Grease 3 - 13 x 9 inch pans. Line with wax paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- 2 Combine almond paste, sugar, butter, egg yolks and almond extract. Beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in flour and salt.
- 3 In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a wooden spoon, fold into the almond mixture.
- 4 Divide dough into 3 -1 1/2 cup portions. Add red coloring to one of the portions, and green to the another. Spread the batter in the 3 separate prepared pans (keeping the colors separate).
- 5 Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. (Each layer will be 1/4 inch thick). Remove cakes from pan immediately. Cool thoroughly.
- 6 Stack layers in a 9 x 13 inch pan, spreading apricot jam between layers (no jam on top layer). Place second 9 x 13 inch pan on top and weigh down with two 5 pound bags of sugar or flour. Refrigerate overnight.
- 7 Melt chocolate over hot water and spread over cake. Allow to set. Trim edges and cup into 1 inch squares.
- Calories 316.6
- Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.7 mg
- Fat 18.1 g
- Fiber 1.8 g
- Protein 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Sodium 108.6 mg
- Sugar 22.7 g