Simple chili prepared in a Dutch oven, then served over a bag of Fritos® or other chips with loads of toppings (like sharp Cheddar cheese, scallions, diced onion, sour cream, and avocado). Perfect for picnics, block parties, camp-outs and game nights. You can simply pour out the Fritos into a serving dish and top with the accompaniments or–if you wish to be truly authentic, and I think you do– serve the Frito pie directly in the Frito bag.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ½ pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 ½ pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, finely chopped, or more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 limes, zested
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (10 ounce) packages corn chips (such as Fritos®)
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ½ cup pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season beef chuck and pork shoulder generously with salt. Cook in the hot oil in batches until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch.
- 2 Stir onions, jalapeno chile pepper, and garlic into the Dutch oven; cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, orange juice, lime juice, chili powder, lime zest, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover partially with the lid, and simmer until beef and pork fall apart when pressed, about 3 hours.
- 3 Divide corn chips among serving bowls. Spoon chili on top. Garnish each serving with cotija cheese, pickled jalapeno peppers, limes, and cilantro.
- Calories 707.6
- Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Fat 43.3 g
- Fiber 6.8 g
- Protein 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Sodium 743.2 mg
- Sugar 5.9 g