African-inspired spices infuse the peanut butter and tomato base of this hearty one-pot stew starring chicken, sweet potatoes, and collard greens. This recipe, which appeared in Allrecipes magazine’s Dec/Jan 2020 issue, comes from Ellie’s new cookbook, “Whole in One: Complete, Healthy Meals in a Single Pot, Sheet Pan, or Skillet”. This keeps up to 4 days, chilled in an airtight container.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ bunch collard greens, tough ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 1 Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken; cook until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken.
- 2 Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- 3 Stir in broth, tomatoes, sweet potato, collard greens, and red bell peppers; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4 Return chicken and accumulated juices to the pot. Return to a boil, then stir in peanut butter; simmer until incorporated and chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped peanuts.
- Calories 444.2
- Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Fat 21.2 g
- Fiber 7.4 g
- Protein 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Sodium 702.1 mg
- Sugar 11 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.