My disdain for improperly used white chocolate is, I think, pretty well known, so one of my favorite holiday cookies might surprise you! It’s one of the cookies in my Charm City Cakes Christmas cookie tins this year. It’s a chewy-centered gingersnap cookie drizzled with white chocolate and chopped candied ginger. What’s wonderful about these cookies is that you get a crackly texture from the candied ginger and the outside of the cookie as well as a soft, mushy texture from the inside of the cookie. You also get a sweet creaminess from the white chocolate that tempers the sharpness of the ginger. My philosophy is, when you use ginger, use it!
- 3 cups white sugar, divided, or as needed
- 1 ½ cups canola oil
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 (11 ounce) package white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Cream 2 cups sugar, oil, molasses, and salt together in a bowl.
- 3 Whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon together in a separate bowl and mix into the creamed mixture. Scrape the bowl during the process and try not to overmix.
- 4 Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll the balls in remaining sugar.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until edges are set and golden, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the cookies halfway through the process so they don't bake unevenly. It's really important not to overbake so the middles stay mushy. Immediately remove the parchment paper from the cookie sheet so the cookies stop baking, and after 2 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 6 Place white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. Drizzle cookies with white chocolate and immediately sprinkle with chopped candied ginger. You want the still-liquid chocolate to grab the candied ginger.
- Calories 161
- Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Fat 7.5 g
- Fiber 0.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Sodium 98.1 mg