Beautiful fall colors and amazing flavors make this a favorite at any holiday gathering. Stir in milk and sour cream for a creamier texture if desired. The beets should not mash all the way. It should be orange-ish with streaks and dots of red from the beets. The name alone will convince your picky eaters to try this, and the taste will make them want more!
- 1 large yam, peeled and cubed
- 1 large red potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large white potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large beet, peeled and cubed
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 turnip, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Place yam, red potato, white potato, yellow potato, beet, rutabaga, parsnip, and turnip into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- 2 Mash vegetable mixture and butter together with a potato masher or fork until orange-ish with streaks of red from the beets; season with nutmeg, salt, and black pepper.
- Calories 318.4
- Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Fat 8.3 g
- Fiber 9.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Sodium 129.2 mg
- Sugar 8.7 g