I just love lentils and marinara so it was a quick decision to marry the two of them in this zucchini dish! I love to drizzle my dish with a little extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 zucchini, spiralized, or more to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 carrot, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Place zucchini in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 2 Bring lentils to a boil in a pot of 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and reduce heat; simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- 3 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 clove garlic and carrots. Cook for 1 minute. Pour in crushed tomatoes and bring marinara sauce to a rapid simmer, about 2 minutes. Press tomato paste against the sides of the pan using the back of a spoon.
- 4 Stir 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 clove garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, and red pepper flakes into the marinara. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until flavors meld, about 20 minutes. Pour in lentils; simmer until lentils have absorbed the marinara, about 10 minutes.
- 5 Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the zucchini noodles and the remaining 1 clove garlic. Seasoning with salt and pepper, cook until noodles are coated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6 Serve noodles on plates with a ladleful of lentil marinara and a topping of Parmesan cheese.
- Calories 144.5
- Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Fat 10.3 g
- Fiber 2.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Sodium 699.1 mg
- Sugar 6.3 g