This Zuppa Inglese recipe is an Italian cream rum cake that requires no baking. It is sooo rich and delicious…My Mom made it for special occasions. For a slightly different taste use almond sponge cookies and almond flavoring in place of the rum.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 teaspoon rum flavored extract
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 ounces almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 In a small bowl, drain cherry juice and add rum; set aside. Prepare vanilla and chocolate puddings in separate bowls, according to package directions. Allow to set up 5 minutes.
- 2 In a 9x13 inch baking dish, place a layer of cookies on the bottom of the dish; cut a few of the cookies in order to create a tight fit, if needed.
- 3 Sprinkle cookie layer with 1/3 of the cherry juice mixture and spoon vanilla pudding over the cookies, spreading to the edge of the pan. Repeat steps with cookies, cherry juice and chocolate pudding. Make final layer with cookies and remaining juice.
- 4 In a medium bowl, whip cream and sugar together until soft peaks form. Top dessert with whipped cream, sprinkle with almonds, and garnish with whole cherries. Refrigerate for 2 hours or more before serving.
- Calories 309
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Cholesterol 85.3 mg
- Fat 18.7 g
- Fiber 1.2 g
- Protein 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Sodium 280.3 mg
- Sugar 12.7 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.